Thursday, July 12, 2007

Library visit, 10 July 2007

Checked out:

  • Upstairs Downstairs, discs VII and VIII (Season 2). This is my alone-time TV -- I watch it when I'm eating dinner, folding laundry, knitting, or just procrastinating. I watched through Season 4 already, but I was in the same place in the series as one of the librarians (and we kept competing for the DVDs), so I started over. It would have been too sad, anyway, to finish it so soon.
  • Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. This book caught my eye when I was browsing back issues (so to speak) of Reading Is My Superpower, and it caught my eye again on the New Items shelf at the library. I didn't pick it up at the time, because it was a large print edition. When it was still there on Tuesday, Adam convinced me it was fate.
  • Fenzig's Fortune by Jean Rabe. I can't tell yet if I'll like this one, or even if I'll read it -- I've been checking out more of every genre than I can read, but especially of fantasy. But it was on the New shelf too, so why not?
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. This is all over the blogosphere, in a quietish way, and has been for lots of years. Romance-y historical fiction, entertaining and smart and well-written. So far, I really, really like it.
  • Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I probably won't actually read these, now that I think about it. But I'm listening to audiobook versions of both of them in the car, and when I can't quite hear things on the recording, I wish I had a print copy to consult later.



Returned:

  • Books I was enjoying, but won't finish before they're due:

    • Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer
    • Empress Orchid by Anchee Min
    • War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
    • Jane Goodall: The Woman Who Redefined Man by Dale Peterson

  • Books I meant to read and didn't:

    • Wild Ginger by Anchee Min
    • Secret Sacrament by Sherryl Jordan
    • Mairelon the Magician by Patricia Wrede
    • Valentine: A Love Story by Chet Raymo

  • Books I'm done with:

    • Sew What! Skirts by Francesca Denhartog and Carole Ann Camp

1 comment:

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

Looking forward to your thoughts on Calamity Physics--